Photo History

Sunday, March 29, 2009

As a resident of Toa Payoh since I was as young as eight, the memoirs I have are indelibly etched in my mind. I feel that Toa Payoh is a place filled family warmth and love, maybe due to the fact that this is where I belong since it's the place I grew up. No doubt, this is a place that brings back all my childhood memories.

As the time passes, things around changes; let alone it be the appearance and concept of Toa Payoh. However, no matter what changes may be made, there are some things that'd never be gone. That'd be none other than the memories being left behind, always kept in my heart.

I remember during my younger days, I always anticipated weekends and holidays as only during these times I would be able to stay over at my grandparents' place. As I have many cousins living near my grandparents, we play and live together since young. Apart from that, we even know each and everyone of our childhood friends! There was countless games that we've played together, umpteen quarrels or even misunderstandings and making up after five minutes. In my memory, those days were nothing but happiness. Sorrowful memories seem to be shadowed by all the happiness that took place. I personally feel that Toa Payoh is a place that allows one to reminisce and feel as if they are a child once again due to the environment. Albeit the elderly population over here is increasing, the facilities are still suited to the elders and younger children. An example would be hop-scotch. Think back and you'd realize that this is not as omnipresent as it was once, before. Even the playground which were once laid out with sand are now replaced with those with rubber foam.


Some thing that has never changed over the past few years or probably even, decades, would be the delicacies and delicious food found in Toa Payoh. Small it may seem; but when it comes to tempting food that'd make one drool by just a look at it, Toa Payoh will never let you down. Furthermore, there's a huge variety of different races food for you to try out!

A hot spot of Toa Payoh that I often frequent would be none other than the Toa Payoh Sports Area, as it consists of the stadium. Did you know, in fact, there's a history behind the Toa Payoh Sports Area? Singapore hosted the 7th Southeast Asian Peninsular (SEAP) there, in 1973, for the first time as a new nation and Toa Payoh was to play a very essential role in hosting the games. Today, Toa Payoh Sports Area is rather significant to many people living and studying in this district as residents would pay a visit to the Gym for workout, swimming pool for a swim and stadium for either a run or perhaps, jog. Schools around this area have their Sports Day held at the stadium too! Some schools also make use of the swimming pool for swimming activities for their CCA. In addition, the stadium is also going to be used for the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) next year, 2010.


Joey [:
3E2

No comments: